07 Feb, 2011
Leap Frog your way to Wellness (and it’s not even a Leap Year!)
A virtual show of hands please for all those who can honestly say they have regularly worked out this year so far, have shed the Christmas bloat & pounds and are feeling more like Rocky Balboa pre the fight of his life? Ok, I can’t see many hands!
One of the ways to make your wellness routines and habits stick is to create the overall goal and smaller goals to get you there. No one – not even seasoned Olympians – can tackle the BIG goal in one go! We’re only human!
If you’re not quite where you wanted to be with your fitness and wellness so far this year, in addition to the BIG & smaller goal setting work, here are my Olympic-sized tips to ensure you sprint your way to wellness that sticks!
Caution: Nothing will change with your current fitness, shape or overall wellness unless you make some changes.
TEN OF TOBY’S TOP TIPS
1. Commit to making your body take part in some basic fitness every day. This can be a brisk walk, a cycle or a stretching/yoga session at home to keep your body mobile! Or try a pilates core strength exercise for posture. It all helps towards how you feel, and how you move.
2. Commit to a 30 minute full cardio workout at least 3 times per week. Schedule it. Do it. Feel it.
3. Ensure you get 8 hours quality sleep each night in a ventilated room. Your Blackberry is not your lover. Leave it in another room!
4. Junk your cupboards of all the processed foods you have. Kick out anything pickled or processed. If it isn’t there you can’t be tempted!
5. Serve yourself smaller portions and listen to the sign of relief from your digestive system.
6. Aim to eat 5 times a day to keep your metabolism stocked right up! Healthy snack options would be hard boiled egg whites or a small handful on raw unsalted almonds. Limited red meat. Turkey is uber lean protein and isn’t just for Christmas.
7. Switch from milky coffee takeouts to herbals teas. You’ll see difference fairly quickly around your midriff and belly from less dairy. Weight loss and caffeine are not great friends either: your liver doesn’t like caffeine and your liver is the No.1 fat burnin organ in your body.
8. Stretch your mind as well as your body.
9. Instigate buddy-up fitness activities in your local park, pool, gym or home!
10. Never be afraid to challenge yourself. Your mind is your master.
Let me know how you get on!
Toby Garbett is the EBA’s Fit for Business Expert.